TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Am trying to connect my laptop to tv and it says invalid…

Customer Question
Hey i am trying...

Hey i am trying to connect my laptop to tv and it says invalid format and i have never had this problem before...I have usually just pluged hdmi cable into laptop and the port on tv, chosen the right input and i am good to go.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Windows 10 running on hp lqptop hang n for proper mae a model

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?

Umm, don't think so, now the tv is older ad the laptop is only 4 months old but i dont see that should be an issue should it if i have hdmi ports for both

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Do i need to have the specific make and model

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
just adding that i feel pretty computer savvy...and in the past I have just plugged both laptop into tv and picked the right input and it is good to go. i have tried different hdmi cables (ones currently connected to other working devices) and that doesnt help.
1/1/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Broadcast Engineer replied 3 months ago
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Either your TV or laptop resolution have changed. Check the laptop first by right clicking on an open area of the desktop then select Display Settings and adjust from there.

just adding that i feel pretty computer savvy...and in the past I have just plugged both laptop into tv and picked the right input and it is good to go. i have tried different hdmi cables (ones currently connected to other working devices) and that doesnt help.ok i am in the display settings, what am i looking for?
dan, i am in the display screen , what am i specifically adjusting

There should be a Resolution setting you can try changing to see if you can get your TV to recognize your computer.

Ok there is a list of other resolutions, 1600 x 900 is recommended. Do I just try other ones?

Yes. Try them one by one to see how your TV responds.

My apologies, but I am unable to contact you by phone at this time.

Do you recommend a certain resolution?
ok, i will try them all

No, just start running down the line to see what happens.

Ok so I looked again at the movie I am trying to watch and it says HD 720 p; is that resolution and if so I don't see that option in the list

It is but you won't find that on your computer. Look for 1920x1080 on your computer.

Found it but that doesn't work

Turn the TV off then back on please.

With computer connected or does that matter

Doesn't matter. If there is no difference, try changing your resolution to 1280x720.

Ok, have tried all the resolutions and turned tv on and off and not yet working.

What type of movie are you trying to play? Is it rented or copied?

It is from a website
Plays perfectly on the laptop

Do you have something else you can try just to see if it will play on the TV?

How's it going?

Nope not working
Amy other ideas

Change your resolution back to the original setting on the computer. Disconnect the HDMI and restart your computer then try again.

I am in the intel he graphics control panel and can see that my tv is the second display, it seems to be an incompatibility between laptop and tv
Ok restarting

You don't want your TV as the second display. Press and hold the Windows key then press the P key. You should see several options. Try the extend option.

Ok turned everything back on and still not working. I want to stop now.

Let's try my last suggestion please.

Sure

I posted it while you were restarting. Do you see it above?

Do you mean the extended option...that is how it is set and it still doesn't show on tv
Thanks for the help. How much will I be billed?

You are only charged if I can resolve the problem.

Ok...i do appreciate your assistance. Sorry it didn't work. Have a good night.

My pleasure!

TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 3 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Nope, other guy tried and couldn't figure it out. Thank you.

Thank You

Louie, Technician