TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a Maxent TV/DVD combo. All of a sudden. the red

Customer Question
We have a Maxent...

We have a Maxent TV/DVD combo. All of a sudden. the red light on the TV (power) is not staying on once the TV is turned off. In order to turn the TV back on, we must unplug and replug the power cord.

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your digital media player? Is there anything at all displayed?

Sorry, question not clear

Technician's Assistant: Is your digital media player connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

Sorry, don't know what you mean when you ask about a digital media player. The DVD is integrated into the TV unit

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
1/1/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 7 months ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help! I need the full model number from the back of the TV, please. Also, how old is it?

ML-3251HLT (LCD TV) Serial # not easily accessible.I'm guessing but about 2007-2010
No one has called me back, as requested

Hi there. I'm not able to make phone calls, but I can chat with you on this page. I know these Maxent models well.

Once you unplug and reconnect the power cord, does everything work properly? In other words, is it acting like the disconnect/reconnect is a reset?

Like a reset.I thought u were the one requesting a phone chat????

No, I didn't request it. Sometimes the site does funny things like that, though. Rest assured, any offers or pop-ups like that aren't coming from me.

Just so I'm clear, are you saying it does work properly after the reset?

once reset works as normalBTW I am being charged a total of $28- correct?

I'm not privy to billing info, but yes, there is normally a single charge unless you sign up for a subscription.

As for the TV, the symptoms you're describing are pretty classic for a failing power supply circuit board, inside the TV. That's actually not bad news, because the power supply board can be replaced, and it's not very expensive.

If you want to repair this, you'll order part number LAD642JO61. You can find them used on eBay and a handful of other sites, for about $50. Once you have it, you can bring the TV to a local servicer to have them replace it for you, or you can replace it yourself (also simpler than it sounds).

If you want to replace it yourself, follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the TV's power cord.

2. Lay a blanket on a sturdy table, and then lay the TV face down.

3. Remove all screws from the rear panel. There will be several, so keep a bowl nearby.

4. Remove the rear panel from the TV.

5. Find the power supply board. You can find it easily by tracing the power cord input. The power supply board will be the first one in the path. It's tan, and rectangular in shape.

6. Disconnect the wiring harnesses from the board (no soldering or fancy tools required).

7. Remove the screws holding the board in place.

8. Reverse the procedure to install the new board.

If you have any other questions, just ask! Otherwise, please take a second to rate the service I've provided. There should be a rating scale on your screen (probably stars, 1-5). I hope it was excellent!

Any luck ordering the power supply board, or did you decide to talk to a local pro?