TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Watching my set around 6:30 yesterday, the screen goes black…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl,...

Hi Pearl, watching my set around 6:30 yesterday, the screen goes black but I still have audio. I called my cable provider .. Comcast and they did a refresh, an update and still nothing. I replaced the HDMI box this morning from my local comcast office ... hooked it up, just spent 50 mins. with comcast tech support and still have neither picture or audio... is my set blown?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Have a black HDMI cable going from my comcast box to the tv, currently plugged into HDMI 1

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
1/1/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV and how old is it?

Also, can you get the menu to display using the original tv remote?

E07S32DWCP006, I think the set (a Sceptre) is approx. 3.5 to 4 yrs. old
can't get the menu to display with remote

Thank you for the reply. That model number is ***** long for a Sceptre, it would be something like X36 or similar. If you can't get the MENU to display either then this indicates a hardware failure in the set, which is not uncommon with these off brand sets.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?