TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Will not recognize antenna. Panasonic model PT-53TW53G. Only…

Will not recognize antenna ...

Will not recognize antenna

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Panasonic model PT-53TW53G.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Only use antenna ports. Neither ports recognize antenna. States to attach antenna.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your PT-53TW53G? What happened right before this?

Picked up from friend who connected to cable. Said she kept up maintenance but never used antenna. Says worked without issues.

1/1/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

This TV uses an NTSC (analog) tuner and cannot directly decode current digital over the air antenna signals. Newer TV's use ATSC tuners and can tune current antenna signals just fine. The solution on this older set is to purchase a DTV (digital) converter box and connect between the antenna and the TV's AV jacks- effectively bypassing it's built in tuner.

The antenna connects to the converter box, then the converter to the TV. Then simply select the TV's AV input and use the DTV box software to setup and scan for channels. You'll then simply use the DTV remote for general changing of channels, etc.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

I will try your suggestion so not until then. Thank you.

You're welcome and best of luck! You can reply back here at anytime if further assistance is needed. Also before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician