TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My denon receiver avr x3300w is not recognizing the hdmi…

My denon receiver avr...

My denon receiver avr x3300w is not recognizing the hdmi input from my comcast cable box. it did for 6 months but now doesnt. the cable output is working as i hooked it directly to my epson video projector.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Comcast?

No a comcast tecnician was here and everything from there part was working

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

Yes we did that also used different hdmi connectors and tried all of the receivers hdmi inputs

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Yea i am using the analog sound from the cable box but the receiver when i turn the projector on kicks the sound off.

12/31/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Are any other sources working on the Denon connected via HDMI- like a Blu Ray player for example?

Also, have you tried a reboot of the Comcast box yet, and tried replacing the HDMI cable yet?

yea a bluray player is connected and working
we rebooted the cable box and tried different hdmi cables and inputs on the receiver

Okay, as a quick test pull the HDMI cable out of the Blu Ray player and plug it right into the cable box (same input, etc.). Let me know if it works there and using that cable.

it worked for 6months then stopped
we tried that also

Please don't keep posting- I saw it worked for 6 months in your initial post. Post once and wait for my reply otherwise you push my posts off the page.

If the cable box doesn't work plugged into the same port that IS working with the Blu Ray, then it's pretty apparent the Comcast box is the problem. Have you had them swap the box out yet?

the box isnt the problem the signal works directly to the projector

That doesn't matter, and it WOULD INDEED seem to be the problem, troubleshooting already confirmed this (same cable same port as WORKING blu ray player- cable box doesn't work). The HDMI out on the box is not strong enough to be transmitted through the repeater in the Denon. It takes MORE signal to pass a device through a receiver than to connect direct to a projector.

ok thanks

You can try a full reset of the Denon to factory defaults if you want, but you can see the Denon posts are not the issue since the Blu Ray is displaying. Have you reset the Denon to factory defaults yet?

no i havent i suppose i would have to reset all the changes in video audio assignments etc if i did that

Yes you would need to setup the receiver as if it were out of the box new. If you want to try that those steps are below at the link on page 250:

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20160728151300/Manuals/033/033AVX3300.PDF

If the full reset doesn't work, I would still suggest having Comcast swap the box with a brand new one, as HDMI can be glitchy with it's handshake when passed through multiple components. Or, alternatively an HDMI switch to run the HDMI from the box direct to the projector and then an optical cord from Comcast box to Denon would also be a suitable workaround.

ok thanks for the help

You're welcome. Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

ok done 5star

Thank you. I'm only rated by you clicking on the stars at the top of the actual page (scroll up the page please).

Aric, Technician