TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have already spoken to someone about my VIZIO 70"tv the…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have already spoken to someone about my VIZIO 70"tv the screen is dark now when I bout it it showed great color now it's dark barely showing color. Will I have to pay money if I fondue here with you.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your 70"TV?

I have a HDMI cord I don't see any red yellow or white cables hooked up in the back of the tv should it be

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No not that I remember you ask that before

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Help...and will this cost me

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
12/30/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the full model number off of the back of the Vizio and how old is the set?

E70-E3 LFTRVRD53901557. And I have had this tv for about a year and 1 month.

What is connected to the TV that you view when it's dark (example: cable box, etc.)? Also if you try and pull up the set's own MENU, does that also appear dark as well?

Are you still with me here??

They just did an update on the tv I just notice it but my son notice that the tv was dark I thought he went in and changed the color picture. Cable box is hooked up HDMI plug my son Xbox

if you try and pull up the set's own MENU, does that also appear dark as well?

Use the original Vizio remote and press MENU, we simply need to know if the MENU image itself also appears dark please.

in menu is dark but you can tell it's blue once I pull up in menu

Okay, if the MENU is dark as well then this indicates a hardware fault has occurred within the TV itself- most commonly with the power supply/LED driver board.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (located on the lower left hand rear corner of the set), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and displays normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.
No it not dark I can still the white color on the letters

Try the reboot above please.

I did the turn the unplug power off and hold the power button it didnt fix it

You tried that twice- just now?

Have you also tried resetting the TV to factory defaults? Please tell me everything you've tried so far so we can save time.

No i havent tried resetting the tv to factory defaults?

Okay I'm pulling up those instructions now.

Restoring the Display to Factory Default Settings All of the on-screen menu settings can be reset to the factory defaults. To restore the Display to its factory default settings:

1. Press the MENU button on the remote. The on-screen menu is displayed.

2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight System and press OK. The SYSTEM menu is displayed.

3. Highlight Reset & Admin and press OK. The RESET & ADMIN menu is displayed.

4. Highlight Reset Display to Factory Defaults and press OK. If you have set a SYSTEM PIN CODE, enter it now. The Display displays, “Select Reset to restore all Display settings to factory defaults and clear all account information.”

5. Highlight Reset and press OK.

6. Wait for the Display to turn off. The Display will turn back on shortly afterward and the Setup App will begin.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

I'm not that fast on the things you telling me to do

ok

Are you still there??

I'm still here I'm having some trouble I don't have the new remote so I have to use the phone smartcard remote the old on dissent have what I need to use

Alright. You kind of need the original remote for this. So you don't have the one that came with the TV?

I have the remote that came with the tv

Okay, you had confused me as you said something about phone smartcard and not having new remote. I have no idea what that meant.

I'm sorry. I was saying I do have the remote that came with the tv I also downloaded the smart cast app and was using it for the arrows because the old remote didn't have any nor does it have a menu button

Oh okay, sorry about that. I understand now.

I did not the reset & admin it ask me to chose between the new remote or the vizio smartcast app now I'm having trouble figuring out that out I'm on the vizio app now trying to figure it out
I mean I did hit the reset & admin
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Installer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

To be clear, regarding your initial inquiry - this is a paid support site, it is not free help. You have paid the agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page.

So it sounds like you did complete the reset step.

For the smartcast function that is a matter of setting the tv up to your home wifi network, it should provide on screen steps to guide you through that.

Can you tell me the results of the reset though? Is the screen still dark? If it is, I'll provide some more info here and you can hold off on the rest of the setup because it really won't make any difference if the dark screensare persisting.

Thank you but I'll just wait for a tech to come out Aric said he wouldn't charge me

You're welcome. Aric does not have the ability to not charge you, nor does any other tech, you did pay the full fee to the site (not to him or I).

I can give you a quick answer here if you'd like to continue under those fees you've already paid.

To have a tech come out is going to cost you a minimum of $125 and they will give you the exact same answer as we would here.

Im not at home right now
Then the home tech guy can go inside the tv

Okay

My son did a reset and the screen is still black

Thank you for trying,

If this reset process did not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply/backlight component or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; even for a 2016 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $1000 range.

While you can certainly repair it for less, you'll find this and other problems will continue to come up as other parts (and even the replacements) fail and you'll just end up repairing it over and over again.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Vizio 's are all through the house I will see about repairing it I paid to much for this tv

You may certainly do so, that is up to you. Personally I would not consider it worth the investment, even if you've had good luck with this brand elsewhere. They have gone down considerably in quality in recent years and seem to get worse each year, in my experience seeing dozens of these fail every single day.

If you opt to repair, I would recommend calling around to several local repair shops and ask for an estimate for power supply replacement (the most likely failure point, and the cheapest fix) as well as for the main board replacement, so you have a range of the low and high cost possibilities.

There isn't much point to having anyone out at this point, they'll charge you a $125 house call for the same info I just gave.

You can use this site http://www.tvrepairpros.com/ and put in your zip to find local repair options.

Ok I'll look in to it, is there anything else you suggest I try to do

Other than unplugging for awhile longer (an hour or more), beyond the reset, there is nothing else to be done.

The tv would need repairs to correct this, and again I would not consider it worth fixing, in my opinion.

Ok. Thank you for your help enjoy the rest of your evening thank Aric too

You are very welcome, and best of luck to you whichever route you opt for!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,