TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It will turn on and off, but the screen is just black I have…

Customer Question
It will turn on...

It will turn on and off, but the screen is just black I have checked all connections I have also unplugged and held the on/off switch in the back down for 30 seconds and replugged in. I tried this several times.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

No just a firestick

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No it just happened in the middle of a show

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have a serial # and all that if you need it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
12/28/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv? And when did you buy the tv?

I bought the TV 2 yrs ago from a friend
The serial # is LTYWPWCQ3153471

Serial number is ***** no use... Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv?

Here are the other #s I found: E242102 and X40GD42099741B YHH

Is this a Vizio tv?

What size is the screen? 24" or 40" or ...

a Vizio 42"

When the tv is on, if you press buttons on the tv like MENU or volume, does anything show up on the screen?

Nothing at all. I checked all connections, I unplugged and plugged back in, I have unplugged, pressed the on/off switch down in the back for 30 seconds and then plugged it back in to reboot. I tried all of these several times.
I even changed the batteries in the remote control

I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop but that will unfortunately cost more than a new 42" tv.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Maybe you're thinking- "It wasn't worth it"... Well in fact, for years I worked for a repair shop that still charges $120 up front for an in home diagnosis. So by using this service you actually saved a ton of time and money.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician