TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a LG LED TV Model 42LV4400-UA. Purchased in

I have a LG...

I have a LG LED TV Model 42LV4400-UA. Purchased in 2010/2011. When the TV is off, the lower right corner of the TV is a constant red light (which it should be). When i turn it on, the red light starts to blink but nothing happens. i have left it blinking for 5 to 10 minutes and still nothing happens. I have made sure the power cord is connected correctly and the outlet is OK. I have the TV connected to a cable box with the cable line going to the box and a HDMI cord from the box to the TV. It has worked before. I have had this problem on occasions but usually can get the TV to turn on after several tries. This time has been a struggle with no results. Thoughts?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your 42LV4400?

Purchased in 2010 approx. so 7 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I cannot get any picture at all. No menu display. Input does not result in any display as well.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it for now.

12/28/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The red light only blinking when power is pressed, but not changing to the ON status indicates a hardware fault in the TV. Most commonly the power board or mainboard need to be replaced.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

I am not at home right now. I am at work. I will try your recommendation tonight. If that does not work, will I need to take it in to get serviced?

Sorry, I'm unavailable by phone. Yes, give me a minute and I'll post the diagnosis if those steps do not work.

If the issue goes beyond that - then this does indicate a hardware fault in the set, with the power board or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the TV to shut itself down. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets.

At a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Nicholas Arnaud
You can purchase a repair service for the main board online for just under $100. All you would need to do is send it in they are fairly simple to remove from circuit if you have a screw driver and handy. If you would like more information on this option please let me know.
ISP Cable Support
Phone call session started
Aric, Technician