TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My lg tv won't turn off or on or change channels from the…

Customer Question
My lg tv won't...

My lg tv won't turn off or on or change channels from the remote or from the actual tv

Technician's Assistant: Is your LG TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

All the lights are on but I can't press anything no, it's directly in the wall

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes. I can try again

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Should I use a surge protector?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/27/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What is the model number off of the back of the LG and how old is the set?

42le5400
its prob 6 years old

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify- you ARE using the original LG remote and have ALSO tried the buttons along the right edge of the TV with the same results correct?

the buttons are the touch panel along the bottom. I'm not able to select any of the buttons. all of them are lit up and frozen

Okay I understand. Unfortunately this indicates a failure of the Mainboard in the LG and generally requires repairs made to the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the original LG remote (aiming it at the TV), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

okay

Standing by.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

came back on but now the tv is going crazy. clicking through everything and all kinds of stuff popping up

That's bad news. Please give me a minute to type this up.

unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $120 and change (but is showing as out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-42le5400-uc-ausdlnr-main-board.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

okay, thanks

You're welcome and best of luck.

Do you need further assistance with this?