TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

This is a question for an expert on commerial cable TV

equipment: I am the Telecommunications Director...
This is a question for an expert on commerial cable TV equipment:
I am the Telecommunications Director for a University in Iowa. We have our out cable TV system. We get a bulk feed from Mediacom Cable and we are responsible for the campus infrastructure. We have about 7 Scientific Atlanta Gainmaker 1 Ghz line extenders.
Currently the "head-end" amplifier failed. We are currently using thermal gain control. It has been fairly reliable but the feed from Mediacom seems to fluctuate based on the factors other than temperature. For this reason, I am thinking of buying a new amplifier with AGC. Our package is between channels 8 and 97. Of course we have to chose a pilot frequency and I have no experience with it.
1 question I have is can we chose a "scrambled" channel to use for our pilot frequency? (Our vendor only has a few frequencies in stock)
Also are there any other pitfalls or suggestions you might have?
12/28/2017
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Yes, you can use a scrambled signal for the pilot frequency. It will still be detected as an incoming signal; it does not need to be descrambled.

You should ideally use a couple of different pilot frequency signals to ensure accurate response measurements.

Forward gain amplifiers are a good choice for boosting the cable signal from the cable provider before it splits into multiple lines.

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Thank you Pete that is helpful!