TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Just bought a 65" HD TV from Samsung. Picture is fuzzy and…

Customer Question
Just bought a 65"...

Just bought a 65" HD TV from Samsung. Picture is fuzzy and of poor quality. I have direct-tv. What do I do?

Technician's Assistant: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?

It is brand new.. it is a ^% inch 65 inch

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Only with this one I can get to the Direct Tv menu

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 month ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , my name is Jack
Perhaps i can help you with this

Send me a hello when you see this so i know you are available ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am here
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello?

Hi

What type of cables /connection do you have between the satellite box and tv ?
Is it HDMI or color coded component cables ?

You`ve got to give me time between replies by the way

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is an HDMI cable from tv to direct tv box

How about the tv`s own menu , does it show up clear or better than the actual picture ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have three colored connectors

Why do you have the color color coded cables ??

Pull that out right now and use hdmi only , that is your problem right there

Turn off the tv and cable box , pull those cables and turn them back on

If it doesn`t connect right away then use the source button to select HDMI

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok give me a minute

Let me know how that goes and PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE my answer positively (use the stars at the top of your page and SUBMIT to rate) if that answers your question / does the trick as it is the only way i get paid for helping you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no change, picture still fuzzy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the only cable now plugged in is HDMI

Picture is fuzzy with only hdmi connected ??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like one of those old projection tv images

Pull the sat. box power cord 30 secs to reset it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No change. Picture still fuzzy.

Doesn`t make sense unless something is defective

I asked you about the tv`s own menu or perhaps its internal apps , how do they show ?

Got anything else hdmi you could connect to this tv ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't understand the question.Do I need to register something with direct tv?This is just not the quality image one expects.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The TV menu on the bar at the bottom of the screen is very sharp and good.

OK then that is what i was asking

You tried different channels on the sat. box ?

Do you have HD channels on the direct tv box ?

If you can try something like a dvd or game or anything using HDMI to compare

If it shows fine then have the DTV box replaced

In any case i doubt the tv is the culprit here , get a new box

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I go on Netflix I get a terrific picture

That is also what i was asking earlier

Is it the internal netflix or an external box ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My normal Netflix, through what I guess is the blue ray box I have

OK then you do have a blueray , thank you for confirming what i did ask twice

Change the hdmi cable on the DTV box and if no change , have it replaced , your tv is fine

You could also try to connect it where the blueray is connected now and using the bluerays hdmi cable for a test

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know what I have or how it works.I have a Direct TV box and a DVD player that says blue ray on it.My previous Samsung TV, about a 42 inch or so, was flawless

Yes the blueray is a dvd

Did you try what i suggested , try to swap cable and input with the dvd player

Doesn`t matter what you had before , this is a new tv

Also reboot the tv if you have to , you had a bad start with that color coded cable , who knows what happened there

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I now have the connection directly from the blue ray box to the TV.
No change.

I`m no longer following you , earlier you were saying "a terrific" picture and now its fuzzy ???

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a terrific picture when I am watching Netflix. A poor picture when I am watching regular TV.Still have the same situation.

OK then you just said blueray same thing , you mean DTV box

Try what i suggested , swap cable and input with the blueray or is it what you did ?

If so then that don`t leave much of anything does it ??

Either your DTV box got stuck in low resolution with those color coded cables or simply went defective , try to reboot it again for 5 minutes and it is the power cord you pull out , not the hdmi cable

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the Blue Ray connected to the TV with the color coded cables, red, white yellow, and the Direct TV Box connected to TV with a Coaxial.

WHAT ??

You were saying hdmi

If you are using coaxial then you have the worse connection you could ever get !!

No wonder its fuzzy

That type of connection was use in the 70`s !

Don`t you have a HD box with HDMI port at the rear

PLEASE disconnect everything and use HDMI only

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My Blue Ray DVD player has an HDMI cable which is connected now to the TV.My Direct TV box had a coaxial which is connected To the TV. It also had a port for USB, not in use, but the Direct TV box had no HDMI port.

Well then don`t waste your time trying to get a better picture from the DTV box , you wont until you get HDMI

DO NOT TRY to connect that USB to the tv , you will likey blow the main board and/or the DTV box

Have that box replaced for a HD box

Only hope for that box is if it has component 5 cables Y-Pb-Pr terminals along with 2 audio left/right

And then again you wont get full HD with those , you got a new tv , get a full HD box

If that answers your question PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time (no additional charges) if you have questions or need further help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see those connections on the DTV box.
I am going to resolve this by re-connecting my older Samsung, the smaller one, and returning this new thing to the store.

You need a HD box , its that simple

If you`re not going to rate positively so i get paid for my time then a " thank you for you help " would be appreciated .

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician