TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My 47 in. LG smart tv will turn on but there is no sound or…

My 47 in...

My 47 in . LG smart tv will turn on but there is no sound or picture. Before it 'died' yesterday morning I had been having heavy static issues that would go away after 15-20 min but all else was working. I put in new remote batteries to no avail. Antoinette

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your LG TV?

Yes, 2 of each. I am a tech moron so my apologies.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Well, a 5 1/2 hr. happened 2 wks ago but all had been normal(except the static noise upon starting) since.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, but I do need reasonable prices.

12/27/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the LG please? Also, how old is the set roughly?

The set is 5-6 yrs old, the model # is 47LV5500

Thank you for the reply. Right now, are there ANY signs of life on the set (power light lit or blinking, etc.)?

the remote does get on light to function but all is dark on screen and no sound

Okay, the LG welcome logo does not display when it's first turned on either?

Correct, the screen is totally dark.

That indicates a failure in the TV unfortunately and generally requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Still same problem only on light does no respond after the second restart

That's bad news. Please give me a minute to type this up.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $140 (but is currently showing as out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebt61373504-main-board-for-47lv5500-ua.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Could you resend?, I messed up your message

You sent yours at the same time that I posted it. Please simply scroll up the page, or refresh the page to see it.

Absolutely I will rate you. Thank you

You're welcome and thank you as well.

Aric, Technician