TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a new Sony 4K TV that like all smart TVs has various…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new Sony 4K TV that like all smart TVs has various apps/services I can connect to. I have been watching a series on Acorn through my Amazon Prime app but to get later seasons it says I need an Acorn TV app. I signed up for Acorn on the net and they have already charged me my first monthly fee. I just don't know how to get directly to Acorn without going through Amazon.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Acorn?

Well that's the problem, I don't see anyway or any icon I can choose for Acorn except through Amazon. Thorough Amazon it works fine but I cannot get to any further seasons. At the bottom of my screen after the last episode it says I can get the next season through Acorn TV. I just don't know how to get there.

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

No, I wirelessly connect, my modem/router is in another part of the house. I can connect to Hulu, Netflix, and others without problem, there are I guess you would call them icons on my screen when I go to the smart TV apps and I just select the one I want. There isn't one for Acorn that I can see. I'm wondering if there is some way to add the Acorn app?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
12/27/2017
TV Technician: Dan, Broadcast Engineer replied 6 months ago
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Some smart TV's are limited to the number and type of apps you can install. You can try to update the TV's firmware to see if it will add Acorn, but it may not. Try that and let me know what happens please.

Please let me know if you still require assistance by responding here and I will reply back as soon as possible.

It didn't work. I finally called Sony Customer Service and they informed me that my model of TV did not allow for any new apps to be added if they were not already listed in the apps list. Since ACORN isn't on my list I'm SOL. I may be able to try something like a Roku to get it on my TV.

That is not that uncommon for most smart TV's. I found the Roku to be the best since you can update it regularly for new channels.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.