TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have a 10 year old Mitsubishi TV connected to Yamaha

Customer Question
Have a 10 year...

Have a 10 year old Mitsubishi TV connected to Yamaha YSP-1100 digital sound projector. Received an Amazon Fire Stick and connected it to the second HDMI port. HDMI 1 is being used by Spectrum cable. When I switch the TV over to HDMI 2 I get very good video Amazon programming but the audio stays with the Spectrum programming.

Technician's Assistant: What Mitsubishi model do you have? How old is it?

Mitsubishi TV is 11 or 12 years old. Model WD 52628. Still plays well.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

TV menu seems Ok. Other sources/inputs working correctly.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Mitsubishi? What happened right before this?

First time using HDMI 2. No issues before this.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing, other than my tech knowledge extremely limited.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
12/26/2017
TV Technician: ISP Cable Support, Customer Service replied 6 months ago
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

I just pulled up this Soundbar to look at the specs. I can see why you're having an issue with it.

The problem is that you have your Spectrum sound bar hooked up with your cable system which then connects to your TV. Your TV isn't the issue, it's the soundbar's lack of HDMI capabilities to share the sound.

Do you have any free spots on the back of your speaker? The component or composite cable areas?

You can respond in the chat box below. I may have a solution for you.

The Yamaha projector sits high above the TV on a armoire. Took a step ladder to look behind. Many plugs and wiring and seems very limited or no open space at component or composite areas. Again, not tech savy and elderly. Thanks for suggestions!

If there's not a lot of space, the best solution might be to invest into a receiver if you want it to play through the speakers. I'll show you an example of one and I'll explain how it'll help. One moment.

Would prefer not to spend more money with phone call

Sorry, that's not me. That's the site suggesting it. Please disregard.

I try to warn ahead of time about that in my opening.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH550-5-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00J30GXW2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514318383&sr=1-3&keywords=sony+receiver

This would allow you to hook up your soundbar, your amazon fire stick and your TV all together. You would use an Optical audio cable from the Out on the receiver to your speaker. You would connect all your devices to the receiver so the sound bar's only purpose is to provide sound.

Guess I'm easily confused. I don' t even know what you mean by a receiver. I assume its not another sound bar. Is it something that can be purchased at Best Buy or Wall Mart? Also when you say speaker do you mean the Yamaha projector? All the plug ins now in the Yamaha projector would be pulled and go to the receiver. Then I would use an optical audio cable from my receiver to the Yamaha projector? Have no idea where I would plug in the audio cable at the receiver or where I would plug in the audio cable at the Yamaha projector. I apologize but you can see your talking to someone very "green" as far as tech is concerned. I wouldn't even know where to plug in the fire stick. If you don't want to continue just cancel the payment and I will understand. Might be better to get someone to my home to resolve. I will leave it up to you. Sorry.
Would that be something you would like to look into or did you want to make it work with what you have? The only issue is you won't be able to use your surround speakers.
I would like to make it work with what I have. Surround sound not a priority.

There is a good chance you have the internal TV speakers disabled. If you were to enable them, you can listen to the sound via your TV. Do you know how to access that area in your TV settings?

I think so. I'm going to try and get back to you. One question - I assume I must disable the Yamaha projector to make this work?

Possibly. But sometimes you can enable both. So without making any changes, try go into TV settings and enable your TV speakers. If it is grayed out, we may have to disable the external speakers.

I am becoming frustrated. (not your fault). I tried to turn on TV speakers without success. I tried with the TV remote. Selected TV menu on the remote and slid over to audio/video icon and selected. This selection gave me the option of of sliding over again to TV speakers. At TV speakers I selected "on" which lit up properly. Then I left the screen but no success with or without the Yamaha projector on or off. Oddly enough, the on screen volume slider works with both the original tv remote and the Spectrum remote. I'm very inexperienced at this but maybe the Spectrum receiver is hooked up to the projector which is preventing my success. Or there is some action I must take with the "Net Command" on the tv? Your thoughts.
TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 6 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I need help. Please respond to my comments and question on Jan. 1st.

Have you tried unplugging the soundbar?

Be unplugging do you mean not powering on or not powering on AND unplugging all connections?

Unplugging all connections from the soundbar.

Unplugged all connections from soundbar and still no audio for cable TV or Amazon fire stick through TV speakers, even though TV menu shows TV speakers on. Must be some additional step required through TV menu to enable. Any suggestions?

Did you enable the TV speakers?

Harry, After reading your last response I can't believe you even read my last question of Jan. 6th. You should review my question of Jan. 6th and send an appropriate answer.
When is someone going to respond? It's been far more than 24hrs.
When are you going to respond. Second request. Please respond.
I am going to dispute my payment through American Express because of your failure to resolve my issue or even respond.