TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Picture doesn't laways come on. I have replaced every board…

Customer Question
Picture doesn't laways come...

Picture doesn't laways come on.

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have replaced every board in the TV with the exception of one.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
12/26/2017
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 5 months ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help but need more info to troubleshoot the problem.
- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

The TV had no been moved or bumped and the environment hadn't changed. After closely examining the screen there are no visible cracks. For no apparent reason the Samsung PN60E550DIFXZA 3D plasma TV started coming on with no video. The audio would work but the video wouldn't. If I turned it on and off multiple times I could get it to come on with video. Overtime it became more and more difficult to get it to come on. I read online and watched YouTube videos regarding the capacitor problem on Samsung plasma TV's. Being "somewhat" of a handy man I took the rear cover off and checked the capacitors. They all looked fine. I have since replaced every board in the TV with the exception of the main board (BN94-04644D). I have replaced X-Main, Y-Drive, Y-Buffer (upper & lower), X-Buffer, power supply and logic board. I have tried plugging 6 or 8 different devices into every HDMI port on the TV. I have also tried component video. It does not matter what is plugged it it behaves the same way.

Thanks for the detailed reply that helped a lot. Did you replace those boards having same part numbers as of old boards and on someone's advice?

The parts all had identical part numbers verified before replacement. I still have all the old boards. I also bought a service manual. The only advice was what I could find online. The TV was overpriced to begin with and I have spent over $400 trying to get it working as I could not bear to scrap a $1600 TV that was less than 2 years old.
I have even replaced the ribbon cables.

OK, actually it is a problem of the mainboard as per TV symptoms and it should be replaced at first place.

Please return all those boards, if possible and replace the main board (BN94-04644D) to resolve the problem.

I hope this info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Okay how sure are you that replacing the main board will correct the problem. It happens to be the only board I did not replace because it was not readily available when I was trying to fix it last year. Also of everything I have read regarding this well known problem with Samsung not one suggested it was the main board. Is there a way for me to confirm that the main board is the problem BEFORE I order a new one?

I'm sure 9 out of 10 it is the mainboard internal issue where video processor chip doesn't work and causing no picture. Rest of the boards (sustain boards) monitored by self-diagnostic circuitry and TV will switch Off if any sustain board gets internal failure

It didn't work. I spent over $100 in addition to the $400 I had already spent and it does the same thing.

Sorry to hear that, let me invite other experts on this question to look into it, reposting your question now

Sorry, I requested a refund as I can't put anymore money into this $2000 junk pile. Thanks for your time.
TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 5 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I have requested a refund. The TV still doesn't work but I can't put anymore money into it. At this point I have replaced every board in the TV and still have the same problem I started with. I have replaced the x-main, power supply, Y-Drive, logic board, Y-Buffers (upper & lower), X-buffer and ribbon cables. Unfortunately I can't return ANY of the boards I purchased. I even bought a service manual. The tests in the book don't work because the tests fail when the video doesn't come on but all voltages are normal when it does come on.
Then on the advice of the previous justanswer expert I just replaced the main board. When I asked if there was a way to tell for sure if it was the main board he said
"I'm sure 9 out of 10 it is the mainboard internal issue where video processor chip doesn't work and causing no picture. Rest of the boards (sustain boards) monitored by self-diagnostic circuitry and TV will switch Off if any sustain board gets internal failure".
So as I said, I just bought the main board, put it in and it still does the same exact thing. The first time I turn it on the red standby light flashes 5 or 6 times and then goes out. When this happens, the green light on the logic board is flashing slowly. The picture remains black but the audio comes on after 30 seconds or so. I then turn it off, then right back on. If I am lucky it comes on with the Samsung logo and input source displayed until the picture loads. When this happens the light on the logic board blinks normally (about once a second). It doesn't always come on the second time. Sometimes I have to turn it on/off multiple times. Once the picture is on it will stay on.
So like I said, I requested a refund. But if you think you can help me get a working TV without any additional "trial and error" expenses I would have no problem paying the fee.
Thank you.
Harry, Customer Service