TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It won’t turn on. Screen went light blue and no response. So…

Customer Question
It won’t turn on...

It won’t turn on. Screen went light blue and no response. So I unplugged it and now it won’t come on. It’s a Phillips 55” smart tv

Technician's Assistant: Is your 55” connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I’ve had it a week

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/25/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Unfortunately this is bad news as it indicates a premature hardware failure with the TV, and in most cases means you have a defective set which will need to be exchanged through the retailer.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and see if it powers up.

The screen going light blue and then the TV turning off, is not within the normal operation of the TV and faults like these are becoming more and more common with new flat screens (being produced for lower and lower costs overseas). If the issue persists beyond the reset above- then unfortunately it does indicate the set is faulty. Given it's only a week old, instead of waiting for warranty repairs from Philips, you can directly exchange it through the retailer within 30 days from the date of purchase.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?