TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I just got a new ps4 for Christmas but my hdmi ports work…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a new ps4 for Christmas but my hdmi ports work allow the ps4 to connect. It won’t even connect to my fire stick. Please help

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your PlayStation? What have you tried so far?

I actually just got the PlayStation today but it wouldn’t connect to my fire stick as well all I’ve done was try and rest the tv

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Game Expert to know before I connect you?

No I just really need to figure out how to make the hdmi ports on the tv work

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
12/25/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 3 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of your TV?

I don’t know which number is ***** model number

What BRAND is the TV?

Vizio, Samsung, LG, etc.??

It’s a Panasonic pc tbm2ax08001

Okay, for Panasonic the model would be something like: TC-P50T50 or similar. Please find a number like that.

Th-50px75u

Thank you. So just to be sure- this is the first time you're trying to use the HDMI ports on the set- yes?

No. When I tried before using my fire stick and it didn’t work thts how I knew the hdmi ports didn’t work

Huh? So you've used them before or......??

Let me try again:

1) Have you used the HDMI ports before on this TV?

2) Was the first time trying them when you used the Firestick?

3) ARE YOU able to actually click on and select them as Inputs?

Let me know.

When I got this tv I tried to hook up my fire stick. The hdmi ports on the tv did not work. The tv works fine I’m trying to figure out why the ports don’t work. Now I have a ps4 I got for Christmas and I’m trying to use it but the ports won’t work

Got it. Are the HDMI Inputs "ghosted out"- meaning you're not able to actually click on and select them?

Correct. I can choose to click on hdmi 1 or 2 but nothing appears on the screen it stays black

On this TV the HDMI ports needed to be "LABELED" in the menu before you can use them. Have you labeled them?

No. How do I do tht?

The instructions to "Input Label" are on page 36 of the manual at the link below. Please try those steps and let me know if you can then use the HDMI Inputs:

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20070515162400/Manuals/133/13342PX75U.PDF

What do I set the labels to?

Whatever you'd like. You can name them anything. Name them 123 or ABC- it doesn't matter. We just need to give them some label to see if they work.

It only give me the option to set them to game dvd cable bds pvr etc
I set them all to game

Okay there you go!

Now what, can you select the HDMI Input and see the PS4 or the Firestick?

Ok. Wts next? till didn’t work

Well that's it? You're saying they still don't display? If not, then you have a different issue entirely- and the TV's Mainboard has failed! Let me know!

I reset the tv. When I push menu it’s the set up menus it donsnt let me choose hdmi 1 or 2 or video or anything lik tht

Don't press MENU, use "TV/Video".

Ok. I can click hdmi 1 or two but no picture pops up the screen is still black

That's bad news, and means your HDMI ports are faulty on the TV. Give me a minute to type this up.

I really hope you can help. It would be a Christmas Miracle

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $100:

https://www.ebay.com/i/182958036995?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 46" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

That board is actually called the "A Board" or "Mainboard".

Do you need further assistance with this?

I definitely should not get charged for this. You just had me wlk through steps ive already done
This was honestly no help at all. Not even a little
Well my time was spent helping you and your TV not working is not my doing. Good luck, and goodbye.
Aric, Technician