TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It is cycling on and off. I have unplugged the unit from…

Customer Question
It is cycling on...

It is cycling on and off. I have unplugged the unit from power for a minute, but it's going crazy right now.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Samsung 5300 I believe it's about 3 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Right now it's just cycling. I can't even get to Menu.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

Right before this, we installed a system update.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/24/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv? If not:
-what size is the screen?
-is it LED or LCD or Plasma or?

48" Samsung I don't see a model #.

Appears site sent you a phone call offer. I did not send the offer.
I am not available by phone, but another expert may be.
In the mean time we can continue our chat.....

You have unplugged the power cord for how long? If only one minute, please try 3 full minutes. Let me know the result.

OK. Will try it now.
Didn't help.
It was cycling on and off, now it's mostly off.

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. Most likely is the Main board. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 so you may want to compare that to prices of new 46" tvs.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Maybe you're thinking- "It wasn't worth it"... Well in fact, for years I worked for a repair shop that still charges $120 up front for an in home diagnosis. So by using this service you actually saved a ton of time and money that you can put toward a nice new tv.

Thanks. It’s in now. Should I just leave it on? Until I get a new TV?

Ya, that might be a good idea. If you turn it off, it may have the same issue.