TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

No picture just sound. I got a new dvr box when I installed…

Customer Question
No picture just sound...

No picture just sound. I got a new dvr box when I installed the box it worked. This morning I have no picture. The TV maybe years old.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

No

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
12/23/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?

Also, does the TV's own MENU display if you use the original TV remote?

50LN5400-UA ....No MENU display

Thank you. If the TV's OWN menu does not display, this is not an issue with your DVR- it's an issue with your TV. Please shut the TV itself off- and then turn it back on. Let me know if the LG welcome logo displays on the TV screen.

No logo comes up

This means the TV's LED power supply has failed in most cases and generally requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Nothing is happenng. Just can hear sound

That's bad news. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Generally when the screen goes black (nothing displays- no backlighting, etc.) this means the power supply LED board has failed. However this model has a note that the LED's in the screen itself are more likely the root cause (see notes down the page on the link below):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay62810801-power-supply-unit.htm

That said, a tech would need to measure the voltage from the power board to the screen to determine which is the root cause. If the power supply/LED board is the culprit, you're looking at roughly a $250 repair (parts and labor). However if the LED's in the screen itself are found at fault- this will easily exceed $400 parts and labor.

This may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?