TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Panasonic tv is going black but sound working. Not that I…

Customer Question
Panasonic tv is going...

Panasonic tv is going black but sound working

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Panasonic TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
12/22/2017
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 5 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.

A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Also ,Could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

Ok

OK ?

Sorry it’s covered as it’s mounted

How old is it approx. ?

What size ?

If you`re not going to work on it yourself then i can still give you an estimate with the info from those 2 questions but for part numbers and where to get them i would need that number

Looks like it is behind the universal base stand bracket

If you turn the tv off and back on again do you get a brief flash of light or perhaps the company logo on the screen before it goes dark ?
Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?

Still with me here ?

Yea
Completely black
38; yes brief blue light flash then on then randomly off again

OK then i typed down your answer while waiting for you to reply

A panasonic of that age will be a LCD/LED backlit tv and if the tv still turns on and have sound then there is more than a good chance there is a burnt led /defective strip that causes the shutdown of the whole screen

Those LED`s are supposed to last a zillion hours but they do not , they are failing all over the place and not only in panasonic but all led backlit tv , which is the only thing left on the market now anyway

Perhaps the new model have better systems and led strips but tv`s of 2 to 5 years are failing all over the place for this problem

Just to give you an idea of what this entails , take a look at this video , , not your model but the same job ;

https://youtu.be/qGk6Nx82SCA

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but you can buy a new 42"+ for that money

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post while it gets me paid for my time helping you .

Have to step out for a bit now and will get back to you upon return if you have questions ,, otherwise please do not forget to rate

Thank you