TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Vizio E390-A1 and this morning when i turned it on,

Customer Question
my TV picture was divided...
I have a Vizio E390-A1 and this morning when i turned it on, my TV picture was divided in half one side (left) being normal and the other side being somewhat washed out.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/22/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

How long have you had the tv?

4 years

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires a part inside the tv be replaced called the tcon board. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop but that will unfortunately cost more than a new 40" tv.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Maybe you're thinking- "It wasn't worth it"... Well in fact, for years I worked for a repair shop that still charges $120 up front for an in home diagnosis. So by using this service you actually saved a ton of time and money.

Did you get the message I just posted?

Are you going to DIY or?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

i got Your message. i was looking at prices to DIY and what it involves, and I might go that route.
Thanks For Your help.

Here are the parts for this model:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=2&q=E390-A1

This model may not have a tcon board, instead the main board may connect directly to the screen. In that case you would want to replace the main board. Prices range from $40 to $80 depending on which main board. You MUST get an exact match to your current main board, so you will have to open the tv and get the numbers off your current board before ordering.

If you are not sure if this model has a tcon board, take some pictures of the back of the tv (with the back off) and attach them here in your reply so I can assist.

There may be / should be a board under the metal braces/shields along the bottom edge, where the tv stand brackets are. You'll want to take all the brackets/shields off and look under for a board. That would be the tcon board (if there is one).