TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Panasonic 55 inch LCD TV model number TC-L55ET5 started

Customer Question
Panasonic 55 inch LCD...

Panasonic 55 inch LCD TV model number TC-L55ET5 started cutting off by it self a red blinking light appeared when I awaken this morning. I shut off power source and turn back on TV comes on. This morning it played for about an hour and then cut off. Tonight it had been off since this morning, it played for about two hours then it cut off. I currently have it off and I unplug the main wall plug.

Technician's Assistant: Is your TC-L55ET5 connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

No

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
12/20/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is right at the end of its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 months ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** expert, can you please let me know how many times the red light blinks between pauses please like 4 blinks pause 4 blinks as an example

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Please let me know thanks

Anthony

Thing is if it blinking a code that code is recording a problem with the set ,that problem can be identified and narrowed down and the set usually can be fixed from that information, we move on from there thanks

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician