TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Model SP-P4251 Plasma TV. I have lost the picture…

Customer Question
I have a Model...

I have a Model SP-P4251 Plasma TV. I have lost the picture but still have audio. Can this be repaired?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your SP-P4251?

I bought it in 2003 so that would make it 14 years ago

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No display at all, a completely black screen

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I just need to know if it can be repaired or will I need to get a new one.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
12/20/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Just a couple of quick questions so I can diagnose this properly for you.

1) Is the screen completely pitch black - as if the set were not even on (no backlighting)?

2) Is the power light on the set lit steadily or blinking?

3) Is the audio coming from the TV's built in speakers or an external sound system?

Simply send a reply back to proceed.

1)Pitch black as if the set were not on
2)Power light is steady
3)Sound is coming from the TV

Thanks for the reply. When the screen is out completely, and power light is steady (no blink code), unfortunately this doesn't narrow it down to any one root cause and it could be literally almost anything causing it (failed mainboard, sustain boards, buffers, high voltage loss to the sustain boards, etc.) and the average cost for having this diagnosed and repaired starts at $250 and can go up quite a bit higher from there.

This is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician