TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Turns off randomly. TCL LE50FHDE3010M Manufactured in

Customer Question
Turns off randomly Technician's...

Turns off randomly

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

TCL LE50FHDE3010M Manufactured in October 2013

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes and yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LE50FHDE3010M? What happened right before this?

Bought the TV refurbished Thanksgiving 2015. Started happening around April 2016. Nothing unusual happened. Just normal use of the TV. Started shutting off with no outside influence

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
12/18/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

ok

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand, even after being refurbished. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty from a more reputable and longer lasting brand in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

What part would you recommend replacing first? The power source or the main board? I'm fine doing the repairs myself, just wasn't sure which piece to try replacing first. I'm almost positive the issue is inconsistent voltage to the tv in my old residence, which is not a problem at my new residence, but the damage was already done.
In the meantime, I'll try the fix you recommended. It'll be awhile before I can do that because I'm at work, but I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

Honestly I would not recommend repairing at all. For these low quality "junk brand" tvs, any fix, while possible, will be short lived as other parts and even the replacement would be expected to fail before long too, making more and more investment. I would personally cut my losses and move on to a new set from a better brand.

If it is intermittent though, then I would replace the main first. Parts for these are in short supply, but here is one source that claims to have one in stock: https://www.walkerglobalparts.com/products/4a-lcd50e-cm1gta

Best regards,