TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The picture and sound went out. It was but I unhooked them…

Customer Question
The picture and sound...

The picture and sound went out.

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

It was but I unhooked them and put another tv in its place

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

HDMI only

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No that is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/17/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv? If not:
-when did you buy the tv?
-what size is the screen?
-is it LED or LCD or Plasma or?

Are you having website difficulties preventing you from replying?

LE49RA509

How long have you had the tv?

A little over a year.

Is the tv currently On? Is the power LED on or off or blinking?

What is on the tv screen? all black or all blue or error message or?

I plugged it in and the screen is all black. The green on light is on.
Blue on light

What did you plug in? the power cord or an hdmi cord or....

the power cord

How long was the power cord unplugged for?

a few weeks

Can you try pressing buttons on the tv like MENU or Volume. Does anything show up on the screen?

I pressed the menu button and the power button. The power button turned off the TV. The sound button did nothing.

I'm very sorry to say, right now this appears to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Or maybe you have an extended warranty... Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 on this model and most shops charge just for diagnosis. So you may want to compare that to prices of new 49" tv's.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Maybe you're thinking- "It wasn't worth it"... Well in fact, for years I worked for a repair shop that still charges $120 up front for an in home diagnosis. So by using this service you actually saved a ton of time and money!