TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Pearl can you use the TICK BOX with the l type panasonic tv…

Customer Question
Hello pearl...

Hello pearl can you use the TICK BOX with the l type panasonic tv my tv is 35 years old and till pays beautifully

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have? How old is it?

It is 35 yeard old the remote from the tv does not work but the remote from dish works very well it is a 28 ince wide screen

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Will the tick box irk and how do i connect it --they say I can use it and do away with dish tv

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
12/16/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

The short answer is no, that device would not work with your tv in the first place as your tv is too old to possess the necessary connections.

Even if it was able to physically link to your tv though, I would not recommend doing so. That tick box, much like many similar devices on the market such as tvfrog, rabbittv, etc is basically a scam. The services they claim to offer are very misleading. It is not a direct substitute for cable or satellite service. Essentially it is a small computer that provides a means of linking some internet content to be displayed on your tv. There are "apps" for many different channels or services, however it is not live tv, it does not cover every channel, and most content is not free. Rather each "channel" will typically require an individual subscription to that service, or require you to have a current paid cable/satellite package that covers access to that channel, so you aren't going to save anything and it becomes more inconvenient and difficult to use than just watching your existing dish box.

If you do want to reduce or eliminate your satellite service, the device I would recommend would be a roku or firetv. These are similar devices, but made by reputable companies that will actually support and update the product regularly and don't make unsubstantiated claims about free content. There are many free channels on them from national networks, as well as access to paid content like amazon instant video, netflix, etc. You can supplement that with an antenna and digital tuner box to pick up your local over the air networks for free.

The roku mode that would be compatible with your old tv is the roku express plus: http://amzn.to/2yKcZLL

If you'd like info on the antenna and tuner, let me know.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,