TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My sound still works but I can't get a picture. Yrs

Customer Question
My sound still works...

My sound still works but I can't get a picture

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yrs

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Nope.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/16/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off the back of the TV and how old is it?

Model# *****

Thanks. Can you get the set's own MENU to display using the original Samsung remote? Or does the screen appear black as if the set were not turned on?

Model# ***** The screen is black
The screen is black

This indicates a fault in the set's backlights- which is common with these sets.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Screen still black

Did it flash- even for a second with the Samsung logo?

Are you still with me here?

Screen still black .

That's bad news. Give me a minute to type this up please.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $60:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-0501B-BN44-00667A-Power-Supply-/263358265782?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://tvrepaircanada.com/

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?