TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have Denon AVR S930H/ 7.2 A local company installed

Customer Question
I have Denon AVR...

I have Denon AVR S930H/ 7.2 A local company installed everything along with my new TV and Blue Ray. A pre-wire was done to speaker location on the patio. I installed the speakers myself later, and connected them to the reciever. No sound. And some of the options that come up using remote for main zone don't show up for zone 2 (patio). Service company on the phone talks about "volume control" missing but I don't understand. Can you suggest anything>

Technician's Assistant: What is your Denon connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

Denon is connected to a new blue ray Sony and a new samsung 60 inch tv. both 2017 models. I've checked all cables. I connected the zone two speakers to the two open screw style ports on back, they are labelled subwoofer and I found that unusual but that's what the online manual showed.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

I have tried all the options on the reciever by manual adjustment knob. I have not brought over another audio source. The service company had told me just connect the speakers and zone 2 would be good to go. Anything I need to do in set up control>

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that I feel I've tried the basic troubleshooting and looked at on line suggestions and am stumped.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/16/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The zone 2 speaker jacks are not labeled subwoofer- they are labeled Surround back L and R, and they need to be assigned in the receiver to operate as zone 2.

Additionally zone 2 will ONLY playback sources that are connected to the receiver using RCA red and white (or the unit's internal tuner). So any HDMI or optical sources will not playback in zone two.

Please confirm you have the speaker wires to the patio connected to surround back left/right, and also that you have assigned those outputs for zone 2 (and not surround back).

Additionally, try playing an analog source (such as the FM tuner) and then check to see if you have sound from zone 2.

my mistake - yes labelled Surround back L and R. They are connected and seem solid. I don't know how to assign in the reciever; I thought all was pre-done when I bought this from a specialty company. Can you tell me how to assign them to zone 2
? I have tried the FM tuner no sound.

Thanks for the reply. I have no way of knowing what programming the company did, but it would not be likely they did that unless they were connecting the speakers at that time. Let me pull up the manual page and post a link. Standby please.

ok. Makes sense that they did not assign the speakers if they did not install. I assumed they had as they ran prewire in the house (new construction).

Please refer to page 176 of the Denon manual for steps on how to assign (please note the manual then refers to other pages which need to be referred to as well- the manual is cryptic to say the least):

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20170511113700/Manuals/033/033AVS930H.PDF

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

I'm trying to understand the manual's instructions. I have a service company (different issue) due soon. You have been very responsive; but let me see if I can get this to work. Will I lose your connection if I'm not responsive for a while?

I can understand that, and even on a good day I find the manual hard to follow. You can follow up here at anytime even once you rate my service.

There are no old-style red/black ports on the back of TV or blue ray. So they will not work with external speakers if I understand you.I get to Pandora via my blue ray. The receiver does not have the capability to connect directly to Pandora, does it?Still working on manual understanding. Its much more comprehensive than what i found online yesterday.

That is correct on the TV and Blu Ray. There are converters that allow you to insert in line between HDMI devices that then give you red and white plugs to detour an audio signal to devices.

The manual does show the receiver is capable of connecting to Pandora, so that feature is built in.

I've checked everything. The default set up for the receiver was what I wanted, zone 2 with two separate speakers. I tried to use the receiver's tuner and a function called HEOS music (to get to internet radio) and no sound on zone 2. But I know the receiver was getting signals because I could get what I tuned in on main zone. And I found the way to check on the reciever itself the setup; and indeed the default setting (zone 2 separate) was already in place. So I'm still stumped.
why did you refer me?