TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Audio no video. RCA xomipd58b240 December 2015. TV menu does…

Customer Question
Audio no video Technician's...

Audio no video

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

RCA xomipd58b240 December 2015

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

TV menu does not work the same problem on all sources

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your XOMIPD58B240? What happened right before this?

1 hour I put the TV on menu went down to audio and hit on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

On this particular TV I have to use the TV remote to turn it on and all and use the volume . And use Cable remote to change channels

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

It looks like you may have provided the serial number... Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv? If not:
-what size is the screen?
-is it LED or LCD or Plasma or?

58 in model number sld 58 g45 RQ

Ok

Is the audio playing from the tv speakers or something external like sound bar or surround sound?

TV speakers
Any answers Solutions you just charge me $23
Hello hello

I am just a technician assigned to help you with technical issues. I have nothing to do with billing so please see the website help pages for anything related to that.

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

Okay then any solutions

Guess you missed what I just posted...

Please try this:

I have already tried that but not 3 minutes give me a second

ok

Have to hold on a few my cable box is now rebooting

cable box? We are rebooting the TV - that is unplugging the TV POWER cord.... right?

accidentally pulled the cable box power

oh

TV is on no signal the screen says and the remote does not work at all no menu no apps no nothing

Please clarify - what exactly is on the tv screen right now?

And what exactly was on the screen before?

It says no signal

And what exactly was on the screen before the reset we just did?

okay cable box Rebooted there was the same thing no signal on the screen neither remote does anything but the volume does work on the TV remote

Re-seat the hdmi/audio/video cables on the back of the Tv AND back of the cable box.

I hit the power and cable buttons on the Cable remote and that's when the volume came onto the TV nothing else
Hold up I'll try

Re-seat (unplug/replug) all the hdmi/audio/video cables on the back of the Tv AND back of the cable box.

Did exactly as you said all the cables taken off and replugged

Is the cable box connected with HDMI or something else?

HDMI

Do you have another hdmi cable you can try?

Do you have another cable box you can try?

No I don't just a question I know you're trying everything process of elimination
If I could only get a picture the video my problem would be solved
Does that mean you're signing off
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

My apologies for the prior expert having left you without explanation.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be at all surprising for this brand. These are some of the very lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or so at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $700 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.