TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TV is having issues, it runs fine for awhile then the…

Customer Question
My TV is having issues...
My TV is having issues, it runs fine for awhile then the picture and the sound go off for about 30 seconds then it will start playing again. A month ago it started but it was very intermittent but it is happening with frequency to every few minutes now. We have had it since 2006 and I don't have money to replace it. The green power on LED stays on so I don't think it is the power supply.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Derek
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
12/16/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

I know what the issue is, but I need to know the model number off of the back of the TV you have?

LCD projection TV
Model KDF-E60A20
Sony

Right, thanks. No the power supply in these models were never an issue. However lamp failure or a weak lamp could cause all sorts of intermittent issues (even if the red lamp light never comes on). That said, HAVE you ever seen the light go red? Also when was the last time the lamp was replaced in the set?

Are you still with me here?

It has been a few years since I replaced the lamp but I think the sound continued to work, just the picture stopped.

Yes, in most cases the sound does continue. How about that light- does it ever go red, yes or no please?

I don't remember the power lamp changing to a different color.

Okay, it's very important. If it does- even once, then it's a weak/failing lamp. However if it does not, and the set cycles itself on and off- then it's a failing Mainboard. Is the TV hooked up right now and is it playing? Can you check to see if the Sony remote will pull up the HOME/MENU when the screen goes black? I would like to at least rule out a bad/faulty HDMI cable from the cable box. We need to know if the issue goes beyond the cable signal first- like if you try a DVD on the set? We also really need to know if that light EVER changes to red. There's not a pushbutton fix for this, and troubleshooting requires specific, and detailed info to sort these issue.

I tried playing a DVD and the picture does the same thing. Since the sound goes through its own speakers it continues to work.
I'm sorry but you haven't replied back with enough information to proceed. I will have to opt out.
TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 6 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.