TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My RCA rear projection model 61937 TV will not turn on. I…

Customer Question
My RCA rear projection...

My RCA rear projection model 61937 TV will not turn on

Technician's Assistant: Is your RCA TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

No, I just tried switching Outlets on the surge protector and it sparked as I put it in the new outlet

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I just tried to re - Power with a different outlet and the tv has been unplugged for an hour. No difference

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/16/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2003 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for a crt based tv this set is significantly past its service life at this point, and this technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming that parts are available and that there are any local techs that would even work on this tv, both are unlikely.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $700 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.