TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My panasonic plasma TH-50PX80. M plasma TH-50PX80 will not…

My panasonic plasma TH-50PX80 ...

My panasonic plasma TH-50PX80

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have? How old is it?

M plasma TH-50PX80 will not power on.. the red power light just blanks

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

The set is 8 to10 years old

pressing and holding power button does nothing to turn on tv
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Nathan, Installer
Hello and sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an
internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control
board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a
manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event
(shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model
tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is double it’s service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a
diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60
seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60
seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet,
bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an
internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need
to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back
panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly
desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and
labor.
For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh
warranty in the same $400 range.
I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer