TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My sony tv quit working .The light on the bottom of the tv…

Customer Question
My sony tv...

My sony tv quit working .The green light on the bottom of the tv is flashing red I have no picture or sound

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Sony TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Nio but I un pluged it for about 10 mins to see if it would clear

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/13/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What is the model number off the back of the Sony and how old is the set?

Are you there?

Model number kdl60w63b. Purchased May 2014

Thank you for the reply- and I'm not available by phone. The website sends that offer automatically. The green blinking light generally indicates a fault in the set (the mainboard or power board glitching).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

I can’t find the power button. Is it the home button?

Give me a minute to look that up.

Use the power button on the remote for those steps please.

Were you able to try those steps?

It didn’t work. It is still red

That red light- how many times in a row does it blink before pausing (for example: 6 blinks, pause, 6 blinks, etc.)?

2 times

That's bad news, and indicates a hardware failure in the set I'm afraid. Please give me a minute to type this up.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $55:

https://gopartserv.com/products/aps-374?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=35309090312&gclid=CjwKCAiAmb7RBRATEiwA7kS8VANHgFBtBeic6MAUmk_Lr3INANHNKcdadEYxRHgpkdRofUaiIhLVEhoCV5UQAvD_BwE

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, and if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?