TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Why is it everytime my power goes off or i unplug my plazma…

Customer Question
Why is it everytime...

Why is it everytime my power goes off or i unplug my plazma tv it takes days before it will come back on

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

It been doing it since i bought it new i should have sent it back let me check

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Tcp50x5

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?

Nothing happen works fine till you unplug it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Then it takes days before it will come back on

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/13/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is past its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete (this is the last one they made).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Of course you could continue using it as-is, but I would expect the problem to worsen over time until it won't turn on at all.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Another alternative you could consider, if you have frequent outages, would be to plug the tv into a battery backup system: http://amzn.to/2AyuR1V

that is more of a band-aid and not really fixing the actual problem, but would prevent the outage from happening in the first place so the tv wouldn't be impacted.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.