TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

The display just suddenly starting shaking up and down. Just

Customer Question
Hi. The display just suddenly...
Hi. The display just suddenly starting shaking up and down
JA: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?
Customer: Just an hdmi cable. We unplugged it at first and my boyfriend plugged it back but its still doing the same thing
JA: Was there a power outage recently?
Customer: I live in Dominica. Thats an island in the Caribbean that recently suffered tremendous damage from hurricane maria
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: We just got a generator yesterday. The tv was working fine all last night
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
12/12/2017
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 month ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help but need more info to troubleshoot the problem.
- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
JVC Smart Led Tv LT43KC65. Since the hurricane internet services and etc are down. So we have no cable box and so connected to the tv. Only an Hdmi cable for an xbox. When we got the generator last night. The tv worked fine and we used the xbox on there for couple hours no problem. We put back on the generator at 6 pm today and the tv was fine. I was attempting to connect the tv to my phone's internet when the display started to shake. It is shaking up and down and the menu as well. We have unplugged everything and the problem is still there with nothing extra connected to the tv. Please help

Sorry to hear that, I need to go offline now so repost this question for other experts to assist you further

Thanks

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Installer

Is this just a standard generator, or is it running through an inverter or conditioner of any type?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No a standard generator. 1200W, 120 v. The tv is 100-220v

That is likely part of the problem, the power quality from typical generators is simply not smooth enough to operate sensitive electronics like a tv, and can actually cause damage to the tv in the process. A generator is fine for motors, heaters, fans, pumps, etc, they are not designed for electronics. For that you need a high end inverter based generator, or at least some additional power conditioners inline. I would recommend not trying to run the tv off the generator at all, so as not to cause any further damage. When the power is back on, if you have continued issues with the tv, let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is possible that when normal power returns the tv could still give us problems?

Yes, it is quite possible the tv was damaged by using it with "dirty power" from the generator.

These jvc tvs are very poorly built with very low quality parts, so they are very easily damaged and have short service lives, even on good power.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer