TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Why are UHD (2160p) televisions less expensive than

Customer Question
similarly sized computer monitors with...
Why are UHD (2160p) televisions less expensive than similarly sized computer monitors with the same resolution? I can buy a 49 in UHD (2160p) TV for about $200 less than a similarly sized computer monitor with the same resolution and essentially the same features. I seldom play computer games, so features which cost extra to support gaming are of little interest to me.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/12/2017
TV Technician: ISP Cable Support, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

David, can you show me an example of the 2 models you are looking at?

To answer the question without an example, basically TVs have less pixel density so they can be viewed further away whereas the monitors have more pixels allowing you to view them up close. If you are having up a TV or using the TV from further away, you may get by with it. I will say I tried to use a TV before as a monitor and did not like it. Walk up to a TV like you would a monitor and try to pretend you were using it for a monitor. It doesn't look right up close.

Pixel density is defined by the total number of screen pixels at a given screen size. Therefore, at least theoretically, a monitor with a resolution of 2160p would have the same pixel density as a tv of the same resolution and screen size.Most TV screens are larger than computer monitors and thus the pixels are less dense over a larger area, but I'm talking about TV's and monitors of the SAME size and resolution.It's difficult to give you a direct comparison, because there are few computer monitors that are made as large as modern UHD TV's. But, for example, the attached two files were taken from Best Buy's website. EXACT same size and resolution, yet $200 difference in price. ????My question is why do TV's of a given resolution cost less than PC monitors of the same resolution.

Same reason honestly. It's not the same pixels. TVs use less pixels because it's cheaper to make. So of a TV and monitor of the same size, that is the difference. You don't need so many pixels if you're looking at it far away. Like my example earlier, if you have a TV up close while watching a movie, it looks horrible. But if you have a monitor of the same size up close, it looks clear.

Another factor is refresh rate. The faster the refresh, the better the game play. You didn't care about this as much but it does raise the price.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help provide any clarification or further details you may need. If you do not need any further help, just as a reminder before you go, please give me a quick rating at the top right. Hopefully I have earned 5 stars today! This helps me receive credit for helping you today. Have a great rest of your day!

I've done a lot of reading on this subject and none of your answers really tells me what I was looking for. Therefore, I gave you three stars with no review so you can get paid and I can take a neutral stance on your answer.

I appreciate it. I can opt out of you like to see if there are other opinions. It doesn't look like you rated me yet but I'd rather you get the answer than worry about the pay/rating.