TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have aMintek DTV 173. It is a Mintek DTV 173. It must be…

Customer Question
I have aMintek DTV...

I have aMintek DTV 173

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is a Mintek DTV 173 . It must be 15 years old. I bought it new. The picture is fine but I have no sound.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Is it worth fixing. I like it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/12/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

If you try a DVD is there still no sound?

Also, what is connected to the TV that you view from (example: antenna. cable box, etc.)?

No DVD. This TV is connected to xfinity and all other attachments work.

Not sure what "all other attachments work" refers to. Have you tried to reboot the cable box yet?

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.

4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?