TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My tv stays black. Brand is Sharp. Let me find the model. It…

Customer Question
My tv stays black...

My tv stays black .

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Brand is Sharp

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Let me find the model

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Sharp? What happened right before this?

It happened on Saturday

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Model LC 65le634u

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
12/11/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you able to see the sharps own menu screens at all?

No just the word sharp when you turn it on

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best. These sets are not actually made by sharp, they are built by hisense, one of the lowest quality china import electronics brands, and rebadged and sold with a sharp logo, counting on the recognition of a once good brand name.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming parts can even be found, which is unlikely. In either case as well, any repair at this point would be short lived as other parts (and even the replacements) will continue to fail sooner than later and need more and more investment.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $800 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer