TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv the red light keeps flashing an it wont let me turn on…

Customer Question
My tv the red...

My tv the red light keeps flashing an it wont let me turn on da tv somtimes you can turn it on but it goes back off

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No its connected to the normal plug on the wall

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes ive tried that.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No ive tld you everything red light keeps blinking not turning da tv on but somtimes it goes on then goes back off an the red flashing light continues.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
12/11/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What is the model number of the tv?

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.

Please reply back here on this page when ready.

I did see the model number you posted on your duplicate question (which I've closed for you), thank you for that,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is about double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

I just wasted my money but you didnt solve my problem.

I sent you some specific steps above to attempt to resolve the problem, please at least try this process, making sure it is unplugged from power for a minimum of an hour,

This is a diagnostic process as well as an attempt at fixing the problem. Not all issues can be fixed, nor can there really be a reasonable expectation of a complete fix for a tv of this age.

If it does not help, then it is time to replace the tv as it will cost as much or more to fix than to buy a new one. I"m sorry I don't have more optimistic news for you, but for comparison purposes had you called a tech out, you'd be paying a minimum of $125 for the exact same answer and it still would not be fixed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?