TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Samsung UN55H7150AFXZA and my wife said it wouldn’t…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung UN55H7150AFXZA and my wife said it wouldn’t turn on. When I went to check it out, the screen came on and then went out and then I smelled electrical burning. I immediately got up and unplugged it. Had a little smoke come out but you could smell the electrical. Only other issue about two years ago I made Samsung come out and they said a ribbon inside had to be replaced. It worked great but has not been used too much as it’s in the bedroom. I did just try to do a hard reset to check it out but got nothing. Previously I’d get the red light then it would go out. Now, nothing. Don’t know if it’s the main board or the power board or both.

Technician's Assistant: Is your UN55H7150AFXZA connected to a surge protector or power strip?

It was and always was previously. I did try connecting directly

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

To a power source after attempting a hard reset

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
12/11/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is nearing the end of its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Any fix at this point will be short lived however as other parts will continue to fail and need further investment.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

It’s actually a 2014 tv and hasn’t been used as much as a regular tv as it’s in a bedroom. It was always on a surge protector previously. I did attempt a hard reset but got nothing. This tv was $1200 bought brand new.

This set came out in 13, but they made it both years. I understand the usage and conditions, as well as the cost when new. It is still at this point well past the half point of its service life, which as a general rule is when they aren't worth fixing. Prices have come down considerably though and you can get a new set, even with the latest 4k resolution, in the $500 range these days.

I'm happy to help with parts, repair options, etc though if you'd like.

I’m interested in repairing it myself.

Okay, given the smoke/burning smell, there is a good chance that multiple parts are damaged here, which will drive up parts costs.

Since you are not getting even the power light at this point though, you'd be starting with the power board: https://encompass.com/item/10159813/Samsung/BN44-00715A/Dc_Vss-led_Tv_Pd_Bd

if it still doesn't work at that point, then you'd be replacing the main next.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Installer