TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My TV is a Sony Bravia KDF-37H1000. The sound cuts out after…

Customer Question
My TV is a...

My TV is a Sony Bravia KDF-37H1000. The sound cuts out after a few minutes of run time. We do not have cable or satellite - broadcast only comes from a Winegard powered antenna. The only inputs to the set are the coax from the Winegard, and Video in from a DVD player. The sound from DVds is unaffected. Have checked all connections from the antenna and Winegard has assured me that problem cannot be with the antenna. What is your opinion?

Technician's Assistant: How's your WiFi signal strength? Can you connect to the Internet using a computer or another device?

You're way off base - this is a TV that only recieves RF signal from a powered antenna - has nothing to do with WiFi ot the Internet.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried restarting both your digital media player and your router?

Clearly I'm communicating with a script-reading robot named Al Gorithm....

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Is the "Video Expert" an actual human being?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/11/2017
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 7 months ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello
WelcomeSorry you are having trouble here, yes those initial questions are a robot so it can be erratic sorry for that,this antenna is it indoor?if so do you know how far away from the transmitter you are?Anthony
The antenna is outdoors, elevated, and has been getting fine reception for several years from all of the stations in Los Angeles, about 40 miles away.
Typing works for me - do not want the additional charge.
You are sure the DVD works fine? You have run it for some time that way and are confident this is good?
Have watched many movies and the sound is uninterrupted.

Hmm that is odd ,you need to isolate the antenna as the cause, we don,t normally get issues in the signal department for taking out the sound, its possible but rare and is usually accompanied by crackles, so this is odd, its my guess that there is a signal issue here its just proving the point, do you have a cheap indoor antenna to try ?may work on a couple of channels but just to isolate the issue?

I do not have a "cheap indoor antenna" to try. It appears you're suggesting that the problem is with the antenna, despite assurances from tech at Winegard that that could not be the cause. And yes, sometimes when the sound goes off there is crackling.

Yes that extra info over the crackling does help, the reason why I suggested that is just to prove a signal issue, i am sorry but I dis-agree with your tech the problem is a signal one,its not unusual for the sound to be taken out by a bad noisy signal and the pic is un-affected

The sound is obviously OK with the TV as the DVD proves this its losing it in the signals stage very likely to be a noisy signal

Let me know if you need more help

A positive rating at this point is welcome 3 to 5 stars with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page thank you,the site will then release a payment to me thanks again,note question remains open for 30 days
Anthony

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the antenna itself, and nothing wrong with the TV (big assumptions I know) this makes me want to try replacing the cables - not sure if the one into the Winegard can be replaced but the one from the power module can be.

You could try that yes of course but I doubt it will change anything, there is noting wrong with the Tv its amplifier and pre amp work the DVD proves that the only thing is signals are interfered with and if the signal is becoming attenuated or noisy then the sound can drop out, ultimately the only way to prove that is with a signal strength meter or taking the TV to a known good signal antenna or trying another antenna

You asked for my opinion on this and I am saying your wingaurd tech is wrong,tell him I said so

Please understand I do not receive any payment from the site until you rate me 3 to 5 stars thanks, ***** ***** question will remain open for 30 days thanks again

Just to clarify, are you saying that it is not possible for broadcast TV programs to have no (or crackling) sound when there is sound when DVDs are played? These two separate audios would utilize the same circuit?

Its difficult to explain this , a transmitted signal is received by the antenna and from the antenna is sent to the tuner inside the set and the tuner along with other circuitry gets the sound out and THEN sends it to the same path as the DVD,that is the pre-amp and amplifier, when you play a DVD the process to get the sound from the DVD is a similar format but uses completely different circuitry, the antenna uses the tuner and the demodulation circuitry the DVD does not, so if the signal has a problem the first thing that can happen with a digital transmission is the sound gets affected FIRST (usually crackles) it can then drop out completely before the pic starts to get affected, this is an amplified system you are using so that tells me that there MUST be a problem anyhow with the signal otherwise there would be no need to amplify it, by the way it may not be the antenna itself but its ALIGNMENT may need to be worked on

The alignment of the antenna has worked for ten years. I do not want to buy another antenna and new cables only to find out that the tuner in the TV has gone bad. Since broadcasts go through a discrete signal chain, could this be the reason there's sound with DVDs but not with broadcasts? Tuner on the blink? Is this a possibility?

Because it has worked for 10 years or 10 days or 10 mins does not mean it can't develop an issue....it very much can

Yes the tuner could be bad but its a very rare occurrence to cause this I do not think I have EVER had an issue where the tuner takes out the sound and leaves pic good, I have alread explained about the signal please read above again

I have covered all the angles on this everything is above including checks to isolate the issue and rule the set out or otherwise thanks

How many channels can you get?

Sorry for the delay but I needed to explore options. Replaced the Winegard Straight Shooter with a new Winegard Flat Wave Air powered antenna (raised an additional 3 feet so it's now about 30 feet off the ground on my roof), replaced the coax cables with new Monster 75 ohm cables. The sound still cuts out and/or crackles badly. Possibly I bought a defective "new" antenna. Is there an inexpensive device I could buy to test the signal strength and quality? To answer your last question, I get tons of LA stations, most of which I don't use - good picture, sound bad.

Could you not simply get another TV in the same position?yes there are signal strength meters however the better ones that are needed are expensive

If a replacement set in the same position works i would have to concede that the tuner\if section in the set is bad and the main-board will need to be replaced (contains tuner)