TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am trying to connect my panasonic vhs md pv-2301 to an…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to connect my panasonic vhs md pv-2301 to an older sony flat tv with no luck

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your digital media player? Is there anything at all displayed?

After an hr of playing w/ RCA cables I get the word RUN, STOP etc on a gray screen

Technician's Assistant: Is your digital media player connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

Power outlet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
12/10/2017
TV Technician: Dan, Broadcast Engineer replied 4 months ago
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Have you tried connecting your VCR to the TV using a single coax cable?

No, the vhs has 2 round connections w/a pin in the middle. Is this what you mean?

Those are the RCA ports you are now trying to use I believe?

No

There should be a coax connector labeled "Out to TV" Ch. 3/4. Do you see that?

Were you able to locate that connector?

Please type in a response. I plugged in the coax in the back of the sony tv & no luck.

Make sure the TV is now tuned to either channel 3 or 4.

The Sony is on C4 w/the coax plugged in with no luck

Can you confirm the 3/4 switch on the VCR is set to match?

There is no switch.

My apologies, but I am unable to contact you by phone at this time.

Do not call me
The back of my Panasonic does look like the pic you sent.

Then you have the ch. 3/4 switch located right next to the port your cable is connected to.

I found the S put on C4 TV on C4. I plugged coax into the vhs & TY & still no go????

Have you tried playing a tape?

The only time I get any response is w/RCA yellow pin in vidio (green) & audio (whiTe) on component MODE

You cannot connect your RCA cables to the component inputs of your TV. If your TV does not have matching colored ports to connect to you will need to keep trying with the coax connection. With the VCR connected, try having your TV scan for channels to see if it will lock on to the VCR.

I have a Firestick connected. is this blocking the vhs in some way? Also, I do not understand your last entry re scanning w/the coax connected???

For any modern TV to receive a channel, you need to enter the setup menu and locate the tuning section. There you can choose either Cable or Antenna for the TV's tuner to work with. In that menu there will be on option for you to select that will cause the TV to begin scanning for active channels. As it does, it will lock onto any active channel and store it into memory. The Firestick should not have any effect.

I will try that, hang on please.

Okay

On tv MODE there was no SCAN but there was an auto program which I ran It returned NO analog NO digital channels found ???

Do you have another TV you can try the VCR on to make sure it is working properly?

no

Did you happen to have a tape playing when you started the auto program?

I don't remember so I'm running AUTO PROGRAM again. +Its looking for analog & digital channels. Hang on please.

Okay

I plugged vhs into old tube tv w/RCA pins R<W<Y & the tape played; so the vhs is OK ???

The only last thing I can think of is to check the video type resolution on the TV. It may not be auto detecting the signal from the VCR and switching from high definition to standard.

I will be going off line for the day, but if you should have further questions, please post them here and I will respond as soon as I return.

Do I switch from high to low OR the othr way around?

Change to low resolution and let me know what happens please.

Dan, Broadcast Engineer