Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

The HDMI ports on my Sony KDL-46V25L1 TV have stopped

Customer Question

The HDMI ports on my Sony KDL-46V25L1 TV have stopped working...both Video 6 & Video 7. They do not appear to be turned off ("Skip"ped) under the Label Video Inputs setting screen. Neither show up as Skip, and one is labeled Cable Box.
JA: How old is your KDL-46V25L1?
Customer: Not sure, exactly. It is not new. 5 years old or older.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV Menu does work. There are two HDMI ports, and neither work. I can connect my cable box using SD cables to Video 3 and it works, but only in SD (of course).
JA: How long has this been an issue with your KDL-46V25L1? What happened right before this?
Customer: I disconnected the HDMI cable to plug in another HDMI cable for a DVR (wanted to watch a movie on my DVR and forgot that I could just use Video 7 HDMI port).
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't believe so.
Category: TV
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do. I also wanted to say that I have tried to do a reset on the TV to no avail.
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

Do you mean that you were able to perform the factory reset and it didn't work or you can't complete the factory reset?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I mean that I performed the reset and it did not fix the problem.
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

Did they ever work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they worked until yesterday.
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

If you remove all other devices plugged in and only plug in the one device via HDMI.

Does it work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I only have one device plugged in, my cable box.
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

Which HDMI port are you using?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried both video 6 and video 7 and neither of them work
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

What do you mean by Video 6 and 7?

You should be on the HDMI input

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Video 6 and video 7 are the HDMI inputs
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried all of the obvious things. I have tried the Box on another TV and it works. I have tried another device (DVD player) and it will not work. I have tried to reset the TV, and that doesn't fix the problem. So again, I have tried all of the obvious things.
Expert:  Harry replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, it sounds like a hardware issue if you have tried all of those options which would require a service call from a local TV repair person.