TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Samsung tv that seems to have to warm up before it…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung tv that seems to have to warm up before it comes on. Is there a way for me to RESET? Currently, it is taking a few hours to come on. It used to be about five to ten minutes.

Technician's Assistant: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?

1080p

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Model no LN52A630M1F

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your LN52A630M1F? What happened right before this?

GETTING WORSE THE LAST YEAR

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

SEPT 2008 almost ten years old. Is this when it is due to expire?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/7/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is double its service life a this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,