TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Our TV is freezing up, turns it self off and back on, gets…

Our TV is freezing...

Our TV is freezing up, turns it self off and back on, gets lines in it. We have sound but no pictures.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

We have a HDMI but not no red yellow and white

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No this has been happening a lot lately.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that we can think of this is frustrating enough.

12/7/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number of the tv, please?

M65-DO
You don't have any ideas?

Please give me a moment to respond,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; even for a 2016 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Of course if it happens to be under a year old and still under warranty, you can file a claim with vizio and take it in to a repair shop that they authorize. Beyond the warranty, these tvs are generally considered not worth repairing.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty from a more reputable and longer lasting brand in the $800 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Do you have a list for a repairman in our area, we live in Indiana?

Can you give me your zip code?

46975 Also is it normal for it to take five minutes to finally come on, when we first turn it on?

No, it is not normal, that is indicative of another failure likely in the power supply board. That will add approximately another $200 to the repair costs if so.

Here are the closest repair options to you: http://bit.ly/2BH6xHj

If you opt to replace it, which is what I would suggest, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The low quality “off brand” sets like vizio just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2y5noSz

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

Best regards,

Thank you sounds like we are in a pickle. It is only three months old.

You're very welcome!

I didn't realize it was quite that new though.

You should actually be under the factory warranty then though.

You can call vizio and file a warranty claim with them.

Unfortunately their support is as bad as their product quality. Sorry to be so dismal about it, but I see so many problems with these tvs each and every day and how poorly handle their issues that I can't offer much optimism for the situation. They will authorize a repair at a facility of their choosing and you will have to take the tv to that shop (they won't pay for in home repairs), where it will likely sit for weeks or months waiting on parts, then when you get it back another part will die and you'll be back where you started again before long.

That repair site didn't mention our TV brand.

That does not mean that they can't work on them, just that they may not be factory authorized, which means they probably can't do warranty work. For that you'd have to call vizio first anyway and they would tell you where they will allow you to take it

Nathan, Installer
Okay, thanks for your help, not going to be so Merry Christmas for us now. Have a good one!