TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Panasonic CT-27SX12AF Plays OK for hours, Then it will begin…

Customer Question
Panasonic CT-27SX12AF Plays OK...

Panasonic CT-27SX12AF Plays OK for hours, Then it will begin to lose the black & white of the picture. color part stays for a while, then loses sync, and eventually loses all video for an indefinite time. Turn off for a while and it can be put on like normal for another indefinite time and then same again.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your CT-27SX12AF?

The Panasonic CT-27SX12AF is 2004 vintage. Myself I have serviced TV since it came to Boston in 1950. I fixed radios before that. My birthday is ***** 22, 1926, now you know my age. I have seen many an intermittent TV kill an excellent service man.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your CT-27SX12AF? What happened right before this?

This set is new to me, it was found in a yard sale. nobody wanted. Works perfect otherwise.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have the circuit board out, I plan to do in circuit capacitor testing but with no schematic or data, I am just fishing. If the problem is in LSI , then the set is junk.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
12/5/2017
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 7 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

It seems like the CRT is failing and no longer scanning properly after a period of time.

Possibly due to power loss, or a failing tube.

Check the voltages after the problem occurs - you may find that a failing capacitor is causing power loss when it warms up.

This is a video loss problem. I can always display the video source selection , be it source 1, source2, source3 or tuner. I have checked most of capacitors with an incircut tester , no faults. Do you have any schematics available? Is there a Panasonic upgrade or mod kit for that chassis?

I don't have any schematics available for this particular model. I will opt out and see if the other experts can assist further.

TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.