TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sony Bravia tv turns off and on intermittently,will shut…

Customer Question
Sony Bravia tv...

Sony Bravia tv turns off and on intermittently,will shut off,comining on almost straight away,runs a couple of mins then turns off again,this does not happen all the time and may run for days ok.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Bravia?

Approx. 4/5 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes while connected to sky or when on its own

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Bravia? What happened right before this?

Has been like this almost from the start but thought it was the sensor for being too close as it happened a few time when grand children got too close,but after a while it became intermittent and could stop any time,but not regular

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Have checked powersupplys and all seem ok.,it been going now for about 20 mins and no further problems.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
12/5/2017
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 6 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...Sony Bravia tv..."
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

model No.46HX820

Appreciate the additional information; a Sony KDL-46HX820

• Have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time?
  • ...and then plugging back in but into a different outlet?
unplugged for a short time then turned on again,thought problem was sorted as all ok for 20 mins,but then it started again every couple of mins

Consider / try unplugging for an extended period of time; the longer the better.

The idea is to simulate a soft RESET and dissipate residual power.

Other checks would be on ensuring below are disabled, turned off and/or not activated:

• Sleep Timer;
  • Timer;
  • Idle TV Standby;
  • Auto Shut-off
  • Presence Sensor.

If not corrective, then the alternative would be an internal hardware issue.