TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sound but no picture. HDMI cables but no av jacks. Not to my…

Customer Question
Sound but no picture ...

Sound but no picture

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

HDMI cables but no av jacks

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not to my knowledge.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
12/4/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV and how old is it?

UN32EH5000FXZA

Thanks, ***** ***** I'm unavailable by phone. Website sends those offers automatically. Grab the Samsung remote and press MENU- let me know if you can get the MENU to display.

I pressed menu and am getting no online display at all

That generally indicates the screen's backlighting is not working. Is the screen still slightly "backlit", or does it appear black- as if the set were not even turned on?

It’s black

This does point to a premature fault in the set's power supply/LED board.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $30:

https://www.ebay.com/i/122812413626?chn=ps

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?