TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

When I turn on the TV, a red X comes up with the number 1…

Customer Question
When I turn on...

When I turn on the TV, a red X comes up with the number 1 below it

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

M50-C1 purchased February 2016

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu does not work. Other TV's work. It was working fine. Came home today after being gone for a week. Tried to do a reboot and it acted like it was and then the same thing came up on the screen

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?

Like I said it was working fine before we left. Never had this problem before

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/3/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.

4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program. Let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps?

It looks like the TV is rebooting Nothing yet

Okay the TV isn't rebooting- your cable box is. The TV comes right on soon as it's turned on. Cable box takes a few minutes to reboot. That X is coming from your cable box, not your TV.

So if the issue persists, you would actually want to contact your cable provider and have them check things on their end since it's their equipment that is showing the X.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

You think the cable box is bad?

No idea. The X is coming up though because the cable box is not producing a signal, and that would be on the cable provider's end. You would have them first refresh their signal, and second- replace the cable box if they can't solve it.

If you want to confirm that the issue is your cable box, leave the TV on and shut the cable box off- that red X won't be on the TV screen any more.

Do you need further assistance with this?