TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We bought a new RCA tv and cannot get the dish remote to…

Customer Question
We bought a new...

We bought a new RCA tv and cannot get the dish remote to work to turn the tv on or raise the sound

Technician's Assistant: What is the model of your TV?

RTU5540-C

Technician's Assistant: What menu options can you access, if any?

Channels will change and the menu comes up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I called DISH and they asked me to contact RCA before returning the tv

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/3/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

I will caution you up front that this most likely will not work. RCA tvs in general are not compatible with other remotes.

If you can tell me how many digits your dish remote needs, I can give you the proper code to try.

I think 3 digits and then the # sign
I'm taking the tv back and another brand

Thanks, ***** ***** get you a code if you'd like to try. Personally I would not bother and would highly recommend buying another brand as well, you'll be much better off in the long run. Would you like some help with recommendations for a better quality tv?

can you send me 1 code to try?

Sure, 047 is the specific IR codeset for this model

ok, thanks still not working

Thanks for trying. That is not surprising, unfortunately. These rca tvs are some of the very lowest quality sets on the market. They are not actually made by rca, but rather by any number of random lowest bidder Chinese import companies that put a licensed rca label on them, because the actual parts inside are constantly changing, it makes it nearly impossible to program a remote to operate them. You really are better off returning it and buying a new one at this point, as these rca sets typically last only a year or so and are not considered repairable when they fail after a short time. You'll be better off spending little bit more to get a new model from a more reputable brand that will last you 5 times as long and actually have warranty and product support

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2y5noSz

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,